Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Slow Week

Hello everyone,

I don't really have much to tell you about this week. Not too much happened this week, in comparison with past weeks. To jump right into the meat of the week, Halloween was on Thursday. However, China doesn't really celebrate that holiday, so we ended up going to our UNK professor, Vani's, apartment.  We had good food there, and got to chat with her and a group of students from Nepal that were also invited.

The next thing that happened this week was then on Sunday.  Vani is of the Hindu religion, and this Sunday the 3rd was one of the biggest holiday's celebrated by Hindus:  Diwali.  This is the "festival of lights," and is celebrated often with the lighting of candles around the home.  Vani said that there can be up to 1000 candles lit on this holiday, although there weren't anywhere near this number at the apartment we celebrated at.  Other than that, there was a prayer to begin the night, and then we shared good food and most everyone performed some sort of entertainment. When it was my turn, I sang a couple songs for the group of almost 20 that were there. So even though I couldn't sing for a festival at the college, I did still get to perform for a group, which was fun.

Other than those two events, this week has been mostly devoted to studying some, sleeping, and otherwise just being lazy. :P With only 37 days, a month and a week, as of this posting, my time in China is rapidly coming to an end. This also means that my posts will be ending soon as well. Five more posts from China, and then possibly a post after I return home, recapping my overall experiences and highlights and low points of the trip.  Hopefully everyone has enjoyed reading this blog at least a little bit.  I'm sorry again that this post is so much shorter than normal. Hopefully some entertaining things happen this week/weekend that I can update you on next time.  Thanks again to everyone who has been reading this.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment